Co. Mayo VEC takes its security responsibilities very seriously by employing the most appropriate physical and technical measures to prevent unauthorised access to personal data in its possession, including staff training and awareness. Co. Mayo VEC regularly reviews these measures. We hold only up-to-date, complete and accurate information. We hold only data that is necessary for the purpose for which they are collected. Different types of data are held for different time periods. Our policy is to delete information on credit/debit card details once a transaction has been finalised.
Data Protection Policy of Co. Mayo VEC
A copy of the full Data Protection Policy of Co. Mayo VEC is available at www.mayovec.ieor on request from The C.E.O., Co. Mayo VEC, Administrative Offices, Newtown, Castlebar, Co. Mayo.
www.mayovec.ie respects your right to privacy. Visitors are advised that each time they visit a website two general levels of information about their visit can be retained. The first level comprises statistical and other analytical information collected on an aggregate and non-individual specific basis of all browsers who visit the site. The second is information which is personal or particular to a specific visitor who knowingly chooses to provide that information.
The statistical and analytical information provides general and not individually specific information about the number of people who visit this Website; the number of people who return to this site; the pages that they visit; where they were before they came to this site and the page in the site at which they exited. This information helps us monitor traffic on our Website so that we can manage the site’s capacity and efficiency. It also helps us to understand which parts of this site are most popular and to assess user behaviour and characteristics in order to measure interest in and use of the various areas of the site,
Through this Website you may have an opportunity to send us information, such as through the ‘Application pages’ or any other area where you may send emails, provide feedback, etc. By choosing to participate in these, you will be providing us with some level of personal information relating to you. This information will only be used by www.mayovec.ie for:
- The purpose for which it was provided by you
- Verification purposes and statistical analysis
- Marketing and administration and correspondence purposes
All marketing communications will contain an ‘opt-out’ box which the email recipient may tick to exclude him/herself from further marketing email communications.
Co. Mayo VEC is registered as a Data Controller under the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003. The personal data supplied on this application form is required for the purposes of student enrolment, registration, administration, child welfare and to fulfil our other legal obligations, including the election of parent/guardian representatives to the VEC under the Vocational Education (Amendment) Act 2001. Contact details will also be used to notify you of school/VEC events or activities. While the information provided will generally be treated as confidential to Co. Mayo VEC, from time to time it may be necessary for us to exchange personal data on a confidential basis, where we are legally required to do so, with other bodies including the Department of Education & Skills, the Department of Social Protection, An Garda Síochána, the Health Service Executive, the National Educational Welfare Board and all Government Departments or with another school (where the student is transferring), Bank of Ireland , Castlebar and other Financial Institutions, Computer maintenance personnel employed from time to time by Mayo VEC, Mayo Co. Council, the Teaching Council, the Comptroller and Auditor General, FETAC, Trade Unions and Staff Associations, Insurance Companies to include Income Protection Payments, Pension Administrators, past and future employers. We rely on parents/guardians to provide us with accurate and complete information and to update us in relation to any change in the information provided. Should you wish to update or access your/your child’s personal data you should write to the school Principal/Centre Manager.
Collection and use of non-personal information
Non-personal information: data collected for statistical purposes which is not associated with a specific identity. www.mayovec.iecollects and analyses technical information in order to evaluate our Website. The type of technical information we log is confined to the following:
- The IP address of the visitor’s Web server
- The top-level domain-name used (for example .i.e./.com/.org/.net)
- The pages visited on the www.mayovec.iewebsite
- The previous Website address from which the visitor reached us, including any search terms used
- Clickstream data which shows the traffic of visitors around this Website (for example pages accessed)
- Computer hardware and software used to browse our website
* An IP address is an identifier for a computer or device on a Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) network, such as the World Wide Web. Networks use the TCP/IP protocol to route information based on the IP address of the destination. In other words, an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Web, allowing Web servers to locate and identify your computer. Computers require IP addresses in order for users to communicate on the Internet, browse and shop.
*** Co. Mayo VEC websites may use Cookie technology.
Access to Personal Data
Anyone who provides us with personal data has the right to periodically review, update and/or correct the information held about them. On making an access request any individual (subject to the restrictions in Notes A and B below) about whom Mayo VEC keeps Personal Data, is entitled to:
- A copy of the data which is kept about him/her
- Know the purpose/s for processing his/her data
- Know the identity of those to whom the data is disclosed
- Know the source of the data, unless it is contrary to public interest
- Know the logic involved in automated decisions
- A copy of any data held in the form of opinions, except where such opinions were given in confidence.
To make an access request, an individual must:
- Apply in writing to the Chief Executive Officer of Co. Mayo VEC.
- Give any details which might be needed to help identify him/her and locate all the information the school/centre may keep about him/her
- Pay an access fee of €6.35.
There are a number of exceptions to the general rule of Right of Access, including those specified in Notes A and B below.
Note A: Access requests by students:
Students aged 18 and over are entitled to access their personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Acts. Students under 18 years of age can be given access to their personal information, depending on the age of the student and the nature of the record i.e. it is suggested that:
- If the information is ordinary, routine or non-controversial (e.g. a record of a test result) the student could readily be given access
- If the record is of a sensitive nature, it would be prudent to seek parental/guardian consent
- If a student has some disability or medical condition that would impair his or her ability to understand the information, or if disclosure would be likely to be harmful to the individual concerned, parental/guardian consent should be sought.
Note B: Exceptions to note:
Data protection regulations prohibit the supply of:
- Health data to a patient in response to a request for access if that would cause serious harm to his or her physical or mental health. The regulations also provide that such data is to be communicated only by, or after consultation with an appropriate "health professional".
- Personal Dataobtained in the course of carrying on social work if that would cause serious harm to the health or emotional condition of the data subject concerned. The regulations apply to social work carried on by Ministers, local authorities, the HSE or any other such bodies receiving financial assistance from public funds.
Right of Rectification or Erasure
An individual has a right to have his/her personal data corrected, if inaccurate or erased.
To make a Rectification or Erasure request an individual must:
- Apply in writing to the Chief Executive Officer of Co. Mayo VEC.
- give any details which might be needed to help identify him/her and locate all the information the school/centre may keep about him/her
- provide details on what information is to be corrected or erased
Queries on the processing of Personal Data should be forwarded by email to:
or by letter addressed to:
Dr. Katie Sweeney, C.E.O., Co. Mayo VEC, Newtown, Castlebar, Co. Mayo.